January Thaw

Here's a poem I wrote yesterday. It's not polished yet but that will take a few weeks of playing around with it. I am not even sure it works, but perhaps there's an old Kuyperian hanging around somewhere who will tell me.

January Thaw

Finally today, temperatures above freezing,
blue sky and a bright sun teasing me into
thoughts of spring. The edges of eaves
drip a steady chatter of happy gossip and the snow,
so white and sparkly, almost blinds me. I could dance
were it not for the dark blue shadows of the ash trees that slash
across the frozen lawns to remind me that nothing is ever one thing.
The blue sky darkens, snow turns black, hoar frost grows on the gray walks,
and the dark windows of houses suddenly flower, bright as marigolds.
This is what it is to live in a world which is straining to become
the Kingdom of God--a blue-white, January-thawed, happy-sad, half-baked kingdom.
A world of “already” and “not yet.”
--Dave Schelhaas

Comments

  1. Hey Dad,

    I'm not a Kuyperian per se, but I think the poem is right on. I like the "nothing is ever one thing" thought.

    Hey, here's my blog address: http://morningpix.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santorum Takes His Gospel of Individualism to Dordt College

A "Plumbline" I wrote that will run on KDCR Friday, 3/19

Seed Catalogs and Crookneck Squash