Telephone Conversation with My Congressman's Aide

Yes, Mason, I’m calling to ask Mr. King
to oppose cuts to programs for the poor
in the United States and in sub-Saharan Africa.
To cut these programs is to say, “Let’em die"
to millions of children and I know that
Mr. King is pro-life and therefore . . . .
What’s that? I don’t understand? When
Mr. King says “pro-life” he means anti-abortion?
Well, I understand that, Mason, but surely
if he opposes the deaths of unborn children
he would also oppose the deaths of born children.
I see, yes, umhmm. So then it’s using tax money
to save the lives of born children that Mr. King opposes?
Un huh, so he thinks that churches and private charities
are more efficient. Well, I suppose they might be, but does
Mr. King think that five hundred dollars efficiently spent
on the poor by the church will do more good than five million spend
somewhat less efficiently by the government? What’s that?
It’s too complicated for me to understand? You mean
I’m just too dumb to grasp Mr. King’s pro-life position?
Mason. . . . Mason? Hello? Are you there?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santorum Takes His Gospel of Individualism to Dordt College

A "Plumbline" I wrote that will run on KDCR Friday, 3/19

Seed Catalogs and Crookneck Squash