How to Read a Poem

I became acquainted with the poems of Billy Collins during the last decade that I taught.  I wish it had been sooner.  I’m sure we all know a poem so complex, so loaded with symbols and allusions and extended metaphors that the only way to understand it is, as Billy Collins says, to “tie it to a chair and torture a confession out of it.”  But read how Billy Collins advises us to read (and teach!) a poem:

Introduction to Poetry
I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem’s room
and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to water-ski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author’s name on the shore.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means.
                                --Billy Collins  (from Sailing Alone Around the Room)

So I say, I wish I had read his advice earlier.   Too often, in the classroom I treated poems like prisoners or math problems one.  Take the poem “Another Sarah” by Anne Porter, another of my favorite poets.  If you have grown up with the Bible as an essential part of your life, then you will quickly realize that the title is the key to the poem.  If you know Sarah as the wife Abraham, then you know all you need to know to understand, appreciate, and enjoy the following poem.  You might even, like Sarah, chuckle a bit after reading it.

  

   Another Sarah

When winter was half over
God sent three angels to the apple-tree
Who said to her
“Be glad, you little rack
Of empty sticks,
Because you have been chosen.

In May you will become
A wave of living sweetness
A nation of white petals
A dynasty of apples.”
                                --Anne Porter (from An Altogether Different Language)

In a couple of days Chris Goedhart will come to prune my apple tree.  I’m glad, I hope the tree is glad also and produces a “dynasty of apples.”  But in this resurrection season I will also be reminded of Sarah’s (and Abraham’s) seed and count myself a part of their dynasty.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Santorum Takes His Gospel of Individualism to Dordt College

A "Plumbline" I wrote that will run on KDCR Friday, 3/19

Seed Catalogs and Crookneck Squash