In Good Company



Suppose you were a pretty good high school baseball player in your day and have been for your whole life an avid major league baseball fan.  One ordinary spring day you go to your mail box and find a roster of this year’s All Star game.  You read it, and notice that your name is on it—along with old time players like Willie Mays and Rod Carew and current players like Mike Trout and Nelson Cruz.

That’s a little bit how I felt when, a couple of days ago, I went to my mailbox and found a book of poems with the title Final Exam.  It was a book containing eighty-five poems written by sixty-five different poets, all of the poems about teachers and their students.  As I perused the index I saw names like Jane Kenyon, Billy Collins, Ted Kooser, Theodore Roethke, Carl Sandberg, William Stafford and many more, a Who’s Who of American Poetry over the last hundred years.  I saw some of my favorite poets and poems:  John Ciardi’s “On Flunking a Nice Boy out of School,” Howard Nemerov’s “September, the First Day of School,” Linda Pastan’s “25th High School Reunion,” and Gwendolyn Brooks’ “We Real Cool.”

Three major American novelists had a poem included:  John Updike, Joyce Carol Oates, and Louise Erdrich.  And, as you have figured out by now, I also had a poem in the book--two poems, as a matter of fact.

As I perused the book, I recalled that well over a year ago I had been asked by someone named J. Barry Koops if I would give him permission to use a couple of my poems in an anthology he was preparing.  I had, of course, given him permission.  I did not know Koops but I recognized his name as a Calvin College name.  That explains (though I don’t know precisely how he knew of me) how I managed to be included in the anthology and why a number of other Calvin grads are included as well:  Rod Jellema, Stan Wiersma (Sietze Buining), Randall VanderMey and Carl Kromminga.

This little blog is my not so subtle way of patting myself on the back, and encouraging you to buy the book if you love poetry or are a teacher who has loved your students, past and present:  Final Exam—Poems About Teachers and Their Students, edited by J. Barry Koops, Brooks Street Books, 2020.  $28.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the poem immediately preceding one of my poems is by a guy named Geoffrey Chaucer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Santorum Takes His Gospel of Individualism to Dordt College

A "Plumbline" I wrote that will run on KDCR Friday, 3/19

Seed Catalogs and Crookneck Squash