The Challenge: “Bee Still” and “Ascension”



Several weeks ago (May 8) I issued a challenge to readers to figure out the connection between my son Luke’s poem “Bee Still” and my poem “Ascension.”  Several of you responded and one of you, my boyhood friend John Rozeboom, got it mostly right.  

If you read the last word of each line of my poem--in order--you will have Luke's poem.  This device--placing the words of another poet's poem (or just a line from the poem) at the end of each line of your poem--is called a Golden Shovel--invented by a friend of the great Afro-American poet Gwendolyn Brooks.  He asked friends and fellow poets to write a Golden Shovel poem to honor Brooks and got a whole book of Golden Shovel poems.

 Here's another Golden Shovel poem I wrote using the words of just the last line of another of Luke's poems and placing each one, in order, at the end of each line of my poem.

From "Where the Spokes Were Missing"

. . . I saw this.  And some other night I'll see this  late sky clean
and deep and seasoned with a million dancing stars, and I'll believe
the ancients, who said the universe was ribbed and spindled,
shot through with spokes ascending from earth to heaven and spinning.
And where the spokes were missing; there the light shone through.

Old Songs, Almost Forgotten
 I like to think they’re still back there somewhere and
if I sing long enough my mind can take me where
the music can still be heard, a baseball card clothes-pinned to the
bicycle spokes,
the song going up the scale, a happy whirr
as I went faster, then dying as I slowed and stopped, missing
a measure before passing the melody on to Mothers calling their children in for bed.  There
is a sadness in their two-note sing-song “John-ny, Da-vid,” the
heartache at the sound, the porch light
cutting a lucent circle on the stoop.  Gradually the music came
to an end, and in the darkness only the stars shone through.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Santorum Takes His Gospel of Individualism to Dordt College

A "Plumbline" I wrote that will run on KDCR Friday, 3/19

Seed Catalogs and Crookneck Squash